skip to primary navigationskip to content

Interdisciplinary Design for the Built Environment

Department A-Z


The IDBE is an established and highly successful part-time master's degree for professionals working in the built environment, offered jointly by the Departments of Engineering and Architecture at the University of Cambridge. Each year we select students from widely differing disciplines, from across the world and from very varied backgrounds, bringing them together in Cambridge to explore the pressing challenges of our time and of the future. In doing so they discover deep understanding of the built environment, their multiple professions, themselves and each other. All students form close professional, and often personal, relationships, which can last a lifetime.


Read more


Read more

Department of Engineering

Read more

Department of Architecture

Read more

 Visit our page on LinkedIn

 Visit our Facebook page

View our YouTube channel


Applications for September 2014 closed on 31st July. They will re-open in October. Please follow this link to the University of Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education website for details on the application process.


  • A good first degree (equivalent to a 2:1 or better from a UK university).
  • At least three years of professional experience in the built environment since graduating.
  • Overseas students must be able to demonstrate a good command of English as this is a requirement of the University. More detail about the University Board of Graduate Studies' English language requirements can be found here.

However each year we have successful applicants from non-standard backgrounds. If you would like to check whether you are likely to meet our criteria before applying formally, please contact the attaching a copy of your curriculum vitae, and we will give you an initial indication of whether you are likely to be considered favourably.

The course is accredited as a masters for further learning by:

  • Joint Board of Moderators (Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Structural Engineers, Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, The Institute of Highway Engineers) -
  • Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors -
  • Chartered Insitution of Building Services Engineers -
  • Royal Institute of British Architects Advanced CPD -
  • More information about each of the above can be found here

To make sure you don't miss out on IDBE updates and events simply email and ask to be added to our mailing list.